Les jardins de Metis
In the summer of 1926, Elsie Reford began transforming her fishing camp on the Metis River into a garden. Located 220 miles north-east of Quebec City, at 48.51º N. latitude, the gardens she created over the next thirty years were the northernmost in the eastern half of North America. Known to some as Les Jardins de Métis, to others as Reford Gardens, the gardens have become famous since they were opened to the public in 1962.
Since 1962, more than 5 million visitors have enjoyed the beauty of the historic gardens and the creativity of the contemporary gardens of the International Garden Festival. With its botanical collections, historic buildings, its site overlooking the St. Lawrence, exhibitions and museum, the gardens provide a range of experiences and services. The gardens were declared a National Historic Site of Canada in 1995.
The gardens host the International Garden Festival, from June every year. The Festival is recognized as the most important event of its kind in North America and one of the world’s leading conceptual garden events. Since 2000, some 900.000 people have explored more than 150 installations designed by creators from fifteen countries. The Festival is recognized as a forum for innovation and an experimental laboratory for the art of the gardening. It is an annual rendez-vous for lovers of contemporary gardens, but also for professionals involved in the renewal of this art form. It is a place of inspiration and exploration. imperative appointment for gardens lovers started in year 2000.
Les Jardins de Métis
200, route 132