Created at the end of the 15th century, the garden now presents itself as planned in 1570 by Agostino Giusti, a knight of the Venetian Republic and courtier of the Tuscan Grand-Duke. It was designed as a scenary to Palazzo Giusti taking advantage of the terraces which were to reveal the city to the gaze a little at a time, according to a pre-ordained plan. Starting from just outside the sixteenth-century hall, a now famous avenue of cycpresses climbs up to a cave full of stalactites, above which there is a “gargoyle” built so as to emit tongues of fire from its mouth.
From the belvedere one can enjoy one of the most beautiful views of Verona. Besides the collections of flowers, important Roman ruins and Goethe’s huge cypress,the garden preserves all the original sixteenth-century features: fountains, acoustic caves, pergolas, Italian-style boxwood, mythological statues and a small yet complex maze, known as one of the oldest in Europe. Visited and celebrated throughout the centuries by famous people from history and culture (among whom Cosimo De’ Medici, De Brosses, Addison, Emperor Joseph II, Goethe, Mozart, Carlo Felice of Savoy, Suares and Gabriel Faure), this garden constitutes, with the neighbouring sixteenth century palace, an urban complex of great interest and classical beauty.
Via Giardino Giusti, 2